Tuesday, May 19, 2009

"I'll Fly Away"

The last thing I remember about K is how worried I was about his health. He had been coming to music therapy and literally crying, "ow, ow, ow". I'd gone straight to the nurses and told them (again), "there's something very wrong with K. I've known him for 20 years, and this is not a sound I have ever heard him make." They assured me they were looking into it.

It was heart-breaking to listen to him. It was difficult to focus when I knew something was wrong. I felt powerless to help him and angry because I had been expressing concern about his health for at least a year.

When I got back to work last Wednesday after a week-long vacation, I heard he was in the Intensive Care Unit at the local hospital. I made plans to go and visit him on Thursday.  

It was too late.  K died Wednesday night.

Alone.

P, one of his regular support staff, also devastated, asked if I would sing the song "I'll Fly Away" for his memorial service. I didn't know the song, but I found the music and started to learn it.

***************************
D was a bit draggy when I went to pick him up for his session this past Saturday. But he got right up to come with me. 

As soon as we got to the Music Room he moved all the instruments off the couch and parked himself there, in a reclining position, facing me. 

He looked sort of glum as I sang a greeting to him, and we spent some time just breathing quietly together. D stared out the window, as he often does, and as I watched him, my mind started to sing, "I'll Fly Away".

I played it for him- painstakingly, since I had only barely begun to learn the song. It seemed to offer a powerful message for him.  He turned to look my way, and he listened intently as I sang.

Some glad morning when this life is o'er,
I'll fly away;
To a home on God's celestial shore,
I'll fly away.

[Chorus]
I'll fly away, Oh Glory
I'll fly away; 
When I die, Hallelujah, by and by,
I'll fly away.

When the shadows of this life have gone,
I'll fly away;
Like a bird from prison bars has flown,
I'll fly away

[Chorus]
I'll fly away, Oh Glory
I'll fly away; 
When I die, Hallelujah, by and by,
I'll fly away.

Just a few more weary days and then,
I'll fly away;
To a land where joy shall never end,
I'll fly away

[Chorus]
I'll fly away, Oh Glory
I'll fly away; 
When I die, Hallelujah, by and by,
I'll fly away.

(written in 1929 by Albert E. Brumley)
The best way I can think of to describe it is that it seemed as if D's eyes, gazing out the window, were singing this song.

A thought crossed my mind as I shared "I'll Fly Away" with D- a song I will be singing for K's memorial service in a couple of weeks. K taught me, as well as many of my practicum students, about being a music therapist (he was a part of the "Sick and Tired" crew I described in my last post). As a result of his death, I've now had occasion to learn this powerful song, and what's more, to share it with another of the people I support.

So, in a way, K remains present, and he continues to share his gift. 

I hope it's true for you, K, wherever you are...that "like a bird from prison bars [you have] flown" and that you're in a state of being in which "joy shall never end".






No comments: