Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Upcoming music and dance/movement therapy workshop in NJ

In case you're wondering if I'm still alive (I am)...I've been preparing to present a five-hour Continuing Music Therapy Education (CMTE) workshop on countertransference with my friend, Mark Bottos, a dance/movement therapist at Kardon Institute for Arts Therapies in Philadelphia, PA. If you're a music or dance/movement therapist, and you're interested in attending, here are the particulars:


Date: Sunday, October 3rd, 2010 9 AM to 5 PM


Location: Kingsway Learning Center; Haddonfield, NJ


Cost: Free for NJAMT Members


Title: "It's Complicated: Exploring the Many Aspects of Countertransference"


Presenters: Mark Bottos, MCAT, DTR and Roia Rafieyan, MA, MT-BC


Therapy can be a complicated process, requiring us to attend to many different elements simultaneously. Learning about the role of countertransference (CT) in the therapy relationship as well as developing an awareness of when we are having a reaction in sessions will not only make us more effect clinicians, but it will also help us find ways to cope with difficult feelings that emerge in the course of our work. Participants are invited to share clinical challenges. Through movement and music experiences and dialogue we will explore ways in which CT manifests in our music, movement and clinical choices. 


6 CMTE credits are available. 



2 comments:

Rachelle said...

Wow, I really wish I could attend this! I hope you all have a great workshop.

Roia said...

Thanks so much, Rachelle! We've really been enjoying preparing for it. It's a topic I feel fairly passionate about (which I guess is obvious from my general bloggery).