Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Getting to "no" you

Just Say NoImage by donnamarijne via FlickrWhile I was avoiding writing my proposal for the regional music therapy conference this afternoon, I started thinking about one of the women with whom I work- this would be the woman who spent a lot of time being undressed in our sessions initially. 


I thought you might be interested in a brief update.


C has managed to keep her clothes on (although her shoes and socks go flying at times- but who can blame her for that?) since we decided it would work a lot better if we had a much (much) shorter session time of about 7 to 10 minutes. 


Most importantly, she has been able to peacefully let me know when she is not interested in having a session, and that seems like a step in the right direction to me. 


I've said this before, and I'm saying it again: Any time one of my clients feels safe saying "no thanks, not today" to me, I know I'm on the right track. 


Now I just have to hope/trust that, at some point, she'll feel safe enough to say "yes" more often. 










1 comment:

Tamara G. Suttle, M.Ed., LPC said...

Oh, YES! Roia! I'm so happy to see another therapist get this! I am always so happy when my clients call to say "I have a friend visiting from out of state and want to cancel my appointment." That's such a healthy thing to do - to have the integrity to tell the truth and to have the courage to ask for what you want and to have the faith that the relationship will endure.

Such critical skills for therapists to have and for therapists to teach. Thanks for the update, Roia!